Monday, August 13, 2007

Why I made this blog.

As a 21 year old, with friends who read operatic sci-fi and epic fantasy, I often get shit for reading what they describe as 'trashy teen fiction'. I will admit, that some of the books that I read deserve this description, but a lot of the stuff is very well written, very intelligent, and by no means trashy. I would like to be able to share some of the good Young Adult novels I've found with anyone else that may be interested.

There is lots of discussion about what the term YA actually means. I've heard it used to describe age groups from anywhere as young as 10, to 17 and up. If anything, I would tend to use the latter, because it's the age group I fall into, and I love YA. Besides, there needs to be a description for those of use who are no longer teenagers, but not yet adults.

For the purposes of this blog, YA means things that would appeal to any audience, but are marketed at or would appeal to people in the traditional YA audiences. It also means things that appeal to me and I want to read.

At the moment, I am rereading a lot of old novels by Aussie writers that I picked up from my local library. I live in Australia, so I have always had a special fondness for anything that was written here, and I expect that this will show in my blog. I will make an effort to keep up with recent releases in the genre, as well as highlighting older books that I think are still worth reading.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At October 25, 2007 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Simon Haynes said...

By the way, if you'd like a review copy or two of the Hal Spacejock books, let me know ... Penguin are marketing them as YA.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

weblogUpdates.ping YOUR WEBLOG NAME HERE http://www.YOURWEBLOGURL.com/